Sunday 15 May 2016

Rock bottom ROCKS... Phoenix Rising


Phoenix Rising

stage 1 watercolour
A3 size

Art on Sunday

It's a sunny Sunday morning in Stanley, the birds are singing up a storm and in the distance I hear the sound of Dragon Boat racing in the Bay. This weeks art theme is the Phoenix. This symbolic mythical creature represents re birth from Greek times. 

The Phoenix first got my attention on those FB stickers... People seem rather fluent these days in communication via 'stickers' HAHA My way is to choose a couple of simple favorites and just use them for everything. I started using the Catniss girl on fire with the phoenix rising in the background. Next, my eye just kept gravitating towards phoenix images... Had I simply choosen the phoenix or has the Phoenix choosen me? 

The more I grow, the more all the random events in my life start to make sense. I feel a great sense of purpose in what I wish to achieve, but its going to take a whole lot of courage and courage is the one thing that I don't really see very often. So having courage feels a little bit lonely at times. 


Phoenix Rising

stage 2 watercolour
A3 size

Rising out of the flames

Feeling discarded, beaten and sore from the endless dullness of what my life had become. I hit rock bottom. I was a total mess. Couldn't even get out of bed for coffee in the morning. Didn't want to leave my house. I was terrified of the world. I was terrified of how the rest of my life was going to play out. I did not have the stamminer to keep going that way. 

Every thing just looked dull and bleak. I couldn't breath. I was suffocating on my own life. I'd try so hard to stretch myself across everything that I just wanted to collapse, hit the reset button and just change EVERYTHING.... 

So that's what I have been doing. Re inventing myself. I got bored of the old model ;) this one though... watch out, this persona has some real courage stirring in her soul. The arrival of the Phoenix seems almost magical. THe painting here speaks to me and says... stand aside, I have a wide wing span! I need my space in order to fly!

WATCH OUT... I BITE BACK

When I was younger, I didn't have the confidence to stand up when I saw a mis justice being done in a public place. Afterwards I'd feel riddled with guilt and shame because I didn't say or do anything. Shame on me. I knew better than that! Slowly I started speaking out, small things, like telling both cantonese and putongwha speakers "this is the bus line here, where are you going? can I help?" in their own languages... They smile and thank me and line up. I'm no saint hahaha! I yell at English speakers, hahahaha guess I know THEY KNOW there's a bus line! HAHAHA 
But I also noticed the rest of the line looking and nodding thanks to me. I simply handled the situation like... a kindergarten teacher would, with kindness!
I look around today and see the way adults treat kids and I can't help but wonder if they treated each other with half the kindness they are able to share with kids then we'd all get along a lot better.

Phoenix Rising

stage 3 watercolour
A3 size

personal flare

As the Phoenix prepares for flight
Gathering strength and focus
Aiming for a creative perfection
rising to the challenge of the path ahead.

Right now, for me, its all about the artwork. Everyday I draw and I paint with passion, the more I do the more creativity takes over and I can't stop the colourful imagines dancing through my mind. If you have no passion in your life then I suggest you stop what you are doing and go find what it is you were destined to do. We are all unique and individual, for me Art and creatiivty inspires me, for others it might be surfing or building rocketships. 

Don't let anything stop you. If you feel something is wrong, then make it right.

But then I could have it all wrong, once the phoenix takes flight, the dragon might eat it!? HAHAHAHA... well... anything is possible.

Thank you for reading.
Please buy my art ;)


Follow on Facebook




No comments:

Post a Comment